R&D Mechanical Design Engineer
KDC are now recruiting for one of the largest clients in the urban air mobility sector. This is an exciting opportunity for an R&D Mechanical Design Engineer to join their company in Germany. Our Client
Our client is an industry leader in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOL). They plan to offer an air taxi service that can save people time by flying them directly to their destination. Our client is looking for a candidate that is passionate about eVTOL technology that will fit in with the brilliant working culture they are developing.
You will be developing mechanical and electromechanical components and equipment for prototype EVTOL aircraft. Together with the architects, you will be finding technical solutions for complex problem statements in and around the aircraft always striving for the best possible compromise. You will be reporting to the Aircraft Architect. Your Responsibilities will include:
- Developing the best possible concepts for solving complex and multidisciplinary issues taking all interfaces, constraints, and dependencies into account
- Supporting the predesign activities with conceptual studies and preliminary designs for subscale drones and full-sized EVTOL aircraft
- Responsible for the mechanical design of (prototype) aircraft components and systems from concept to manufacturing all the way to validation
- Focusing on lightweight structures and power-dense propulsion system components like electrical motors and batteries
- Able to select suitable manufacturing processes and suppliers and will assume responsibility to manage them closely
- Developing specifications for electro-mechanical systems and manage the outsourced development at OEMs and development partners
- Managing the integration of components, their interfaces, and configurations
- Ensuring robustness, safety and reliability of your systems and components by acceptable means (FEM, FMEA, testing)
- Assuming responsibility for complex CAD assemblies and managing the references and interfaces to PLM, BOM etc
- Building up the in-house and external prototyping expertise to further improve through put times and quality.
- Used to short development cycles and fast-to-market product development (e.g. racing industry, consumer or industrial products)
- Broad expertise in lightweight materials (plastics, metals, composites) and know how to best utilize them in your designs
- Profound knowledge of manufacturing processes (CNC, injection molding, additive manufacturing, RTM, etc.) and ability to optimize designs accordingly
- Experience in electronics integration (PCB outlines, connectors, shielding, ingress protection, thermal design)
- strong expertise in CAD (Siemens NX is a benefit), PDM, FEM
- CAM and CNC experience is a plus
- Engineering degree (BSc, MSc) or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience as Mechanical Design Engineer or equivalent
This role includes a full relocation package as well as benefits.
If you want to be part of the exciting journey our client is taking in pioneering the air taxi industry and feel you have the right qualities to aid them in this ambitious undertaking, please do not hesitate to apply.