KDC is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Team Lead Ground Systems Engineer to join our clients facility based in Harwell, UK.
The Senior Ground Systems engineer will play a key leading role in the ground segment team, with a high level of autonomy and responsibility including providing technical expertise and mentoring team members.
They will be involved in the whole ground segment development process, from conceptual design to maintenance. The candidate will be involved in all the infrastructure and software on ground that is critical to safely operate a mission.
This is a key role with a critical responsibility to efficiently interface between the Mission & Systems team and the Operations team. This gives the candidate the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the ground segment, as well as participating to operational activities.
- Participate in/lead the development of ground systems including Mission Control System, Mission Planning System, Ground Stations Interface System
- Derive requirements for the ground segment in general and for specific components.
- Interface with the external suppliers’ teams acting as a Product Owner or Technical Officer and provide support to the development team during the ground segment development phase.
- Interface with the Mission and Systems teams potentially based at other locations.
- Follow the Agile (SCRUM) methodology to ensure implementation of the requirements and maintain the schedule.
- Produce and maintain project documentation to good standard including requirements, verification and validation plan, test procedures, test reports, etc.
- Perform verification & validation of the systems with other team members while ensuring requirements are met, including systems tests and simulation campaigns.
- Interface with the Mission Operations team and provide support / training on the ground systems
- Perform maintenance of the ground systems while being the interfacing point between the operations team and the developers to resolve technical issues
- Maintain (troubleshoot) ground segment components to support Satellite Operations
- University degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum 5+ years of industry experience in satellite ground systems engineering.
- Minimum 5+ years of industry experience in the space sector.
- Good knowledge of the main components of a ground segment (for example, mission control system, mission planning system) and how they interact between them.
- Essential team player as well as proactive.
- Excellent communication skills (required to interface with different cultures/nationalities)
- Excellent reporting skills (for documentation, keeping track of changes, etc)
- Good understanding/knowledge of space mission design/development and standard milestones.
- Good knowledge of Requirements Engineering.
- Good knowledge of system integration, verification and validation
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience with Mission Control Systems, preferably based on SCOS-2000.
- Experience with Automation Systems and Mission Planning Systems.
- Experience with Ground Stations/Antenna communications.
- Knowledge of satellite operations
- Knowledge of Product life cycle
- Knowledge of ECSS and CCSDS
- Experience or knowledge of Scrum as being part of development team or Product Owner.
- Knowledge of C++ and/or Java programming languages.
- Basic Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented, diverse & dynamic international team with cutting edge technology
- Flexible working around core hours in a friendly and supportive environment
- Hybrid working available (dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa sponsorship for employees
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility
- Regular social events
UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Japan (Tokyo)