Senior Mechanical Design & Development Engineer
KDC are looking for an experienced Mechanical Design & Development Engineer
to develop structural and mechanical components for a launch vehicle, ideally, you will have experience in Space, Aerospace and/or composite component design.
The company is Europe's most exciting space company. You will be joining a team developing one of the most innovative, high-tech orbital space launch vehicles in the world, and you'll have the chance to earn an ownership stake in the company.
What you’ll do
What you’ll need
- Design and develop structural and mechanical components and assemblies of both the launch vehicle and its supporting ground segment equipment, including assembly and test fixtures.
- Provide hands-on engineering support to hardware prototype development and test
- Managing multiple tasks and work packages in parallel with changeable priorities
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in an Aerospace/Mechanical or other related engineering field.
- Strong engineering intuition with an ability to recognise factors that are driving the performance of a design.
- Proven track record for delivery spanning the whole development lifecycle including, requirements capture, concepting, detail design, design for manufacture, production and verification.
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SOLIDWORKS, CATIA, NX) and in the generation of technical and production drawings in accordance with relevant standards.
- Proactive and strong team player with excellent communication skills able to communicate with multi-disciplined and international teams.
- At least 5+ years’ experience in engineering design and development of high-performance systems with high reliability requirements.
- Demonstrated experience across the full lifecycle of mechanical engineering developments
- Working knowledge of aerospace and industrial engineering materials and their properties
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Appreciation of composite materials and their associated manufacturing processes
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis and root cause investigation.
- Understanding of kinematics and derived tolerance specification.
- Familiarity withmetallurgy, material selection and material coatings for space applications.
- Familiarity with spacecraft structural loads (quasi-static loads, random vibration, shock, thermo-mechanical).
- Working knowledge of structural sizing approaches by hand calculation and/or FEA
- Experience with mechanical and materials testing
- Experience with cryogenic fluids
- Familiarity with industry standards and references (e.g. MIL-HDBK-5/17, ECSS-E-HB-32, NASA-STD-5001, GSFC-STD-7000)
- Knowledge of mechanical components (e.g. bearings, shafts,transmissions, sealings).
This role includes a relocation package where needed as well as benefits.
If you want to be part of the exciting journey our client is taking in within the space sector, this role includes a full relocation package as well as benefits. and feel you have the right qualities to aid them in this ambitious undertaking, please do not hesitate to apply.