Spacecraft System Engineer
KDC are looking for an experienced Spacecraft System Engineer to join a friendly and welcoming team at the brand-new state of the art facility in Harwell.
The Spacecraft System Engineers are central to the design effort of any mission, working as the technical architect and facilitating trade-offs across the system design. As a Spacecraft Systems Engineer you will work with the subsystem engineers and project managers, balancing the needs of the missions and guiding the technical solutions towards a feasible and achievable conclusion, therefore, you will need a good general understanding of the typical subsystems of satellite missions to perform this role.
As a Spacecraft Systems Engineers you are involved on a mission from beginning to end. Starting with writing bids to customers, then developing and analysing the design during the early mission phases; you will be supporting testing during AIT (and leading system testing), during the launch campaign and finally assist with in-orbit commissioning of the satellite. Responsibilities
- Performing trade-off analysis
- Performing analysis of the spacecraft system design
- Generate and maintain system level budgets (mass, power, data)
- Generate and maintain the requirements and associated design & verification compliance
- Prepare sub-system requirements specification to support procurement
- Review and modify FDIR techniques, perform FMEA
- Adapting the system design from existing mission architectures to meet the needs of the current work
- Coordinating with the subsystem leads to understand their problems
- Reviewing inputs from subsystem engineers or external partners and critiquing appropriately
- Authoring and maintaining system level documents, e.g. CONOPS, V&V plan, System test plans
- 2 years experience of commercial satellite system engineering
- An understanding of all the critical subsystems that make up a satellite mission
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with requirements management
- Ability to perform complicated trade-offs
- Comfortable working with Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 5 years of commercial experience in a Systems Engineering role contributing to satellite platform &/or payload architecture.
- Good understanding of attitude and orbit control subsystem.
- Experience of satellite level AIT
- Experience of mission operations
- Experience with STK
- Experience with FMECA
- Experience working on ESA missions
- Awareness of the issues around space debris removal including past missions and relevant regulations
- Whilst the working language across all divisions is English, proficiency in spoken and/or written Japanese would be considered an asset
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented international team working on cutting edge technology.
- Flexible working around core hours
- Hybrid working available (Dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday per year.
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa sponsorship for employees
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility (opening summer 2022)
- Regular social events.